Entangled by Cat Clarke

Entangled

Finally a paper back copy of debut author novel!!! 
Quite sometime back I did a Cover Crazy post for this book! And finally i got it this week from a friend. I wanted to own a copy of this but my friend was so cross with the book  and she anyway owned a copy i decided not too!
Firstly the red hair is BEAUTIFUL!! I love it soo much that i kept pausing to stare at the cover.She is soo pwetty!!
Now back to the book...


"The same questions whirl round and round in my head: 
What does he want from me? 
How could I have let this happen? 
AM I GOING TO DIE? 
17-year-old Grace wakes up in a white room, with a table, pens and paper - and no clue how she got here. 
As Grace pours her tangled life onto the page, she is forced to remember everything she's tried to forget. There's falling hopelessly in love with the gorgeous Nat, and the unravelling of her relationship with her best friend Sal. But there's something missing. As hard as she's trying to remember, is there something she just can't see? 
Grace must face the most important question of all. Why is she here? "




- Goodreads


Grace Carlyle is a red head who spends way too much time on her own! Her mums always out or more often not bothered about her and her life. Her Dad died years ago and Grace blames her mum for it. End result an arrogant teen who gets drunk and laid way too much!
Her best friend Sal gets pregnant and Sal wont tell Gracie (her bestie) how it happened. This results in a fight. The McHottster Nat and Grace have a surprisingly steady relationship until......
That is the somewhat rough gist of everything that happens in the story. I will leave you at that so you can go bounding to your nearest bookstore and grab a copy! :)
Gracie is lonely and slightly arrogant girl. I had mixed feelings for her while reading. I was appalled by her emo nature when she gets so depressive she begins to cut herself. I have heard of people who do this and had a vague idea about why, but her story still shocked and upset me. 
The world of Entangled seemed small to me with its few characters. I guess that was because of Grace's not so loud and over flowing social life. There were times while reading when i thought this was a waste of time but when i got to end I was satisfied.Well, sort of..it was complete at the end and left me feeling sad.
The end infuriated me but Clarke built up the last few pages for it. Her writing prepared her readers for the end. I somehow think that even Cat Clarke was not sure as to how to end her book- weather she should make it a cliche everything-is-all-right-happy-ending or a time-heals sorta end. Even i couldn't take a stand on an alternative ending. Though a little more substance would have been good! 
There was a "kidnapping" element to the story where Grace gets "kidnapped" by a boy named Ethan who keeps her hostage in a comfortably furnished white room. That is where the summary takes place- the beginning bit. Frankly it was an unwanted element, it didn't event tie itself with the story in the end or anywhere, neither did Clarke explain why she was kidnapped and so on. The only purpose plausible perhaps could be for a engaging and distinguished narration of the story.
I would give the book a 4 on 5. The cover made me up the score and the fact that the book evoked emotion and engaged me thoroughly despite the bumpy plot! 


I know I am late reading this, but what did you think of it?

Comments

  1. must say that overall I am really impressed with this blog.It is easy to see that you are passionate about your writing. If only I had your writing ability I look forward to more updates.
    Business Loan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, just read your review - I had a slightly different take on the whole kidnapping element of this book but don't want to put anything here in case it spoils it for anybody else who hasn't read the book yet.
    Really enjoyed this book, the pages turned really quickly and it wasn't all wrapped up in a neat package at the end.
    Ta
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts