Book People #Florence- Meet the younger ghost of Florence King


Hello and welcome to another episode of Book People.
A show I host here at The Adventures of Kiwi Ivashkov, previously known as Assortments. 
The dates of the show are uncertain and its aired infrequently, but I'm glad you managed to sit in. 
On this show, I interview characters from books that I 
enjoyed meeting. 



Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady came out in 1985 when third wave feminism was the rage. Her book was infamous for its wit and commentary on American conservatism. I found the book abandoned on a cafeteria table with a sign saying "Free Book" so I thought yippee!

So now that we are past the introductions lets welcome onto the show Florence, from toward the end of the book because she is much older and I feel like has all the experience to chat with me and answer my questions. 

*round of applause* followed by *drumroll* as she seats herself on my cool blue comfy couch.


To begin with, why don't you tell us a little about yourself, just to help give readers some context?
I want to say I am a belle from Virginnia because that would my make my grandma proud but really I think I am a woman born in the wrong time period and in the wrong place and I've spent most of my life fighting the two. 

Would you call yourself a Southern Lady?
So the thing is no matter which sex I went to bed with, I never smoked on the street and I think that pretty much sums up my relationship to being or unbeing Southern Lady. 

Three things that your mother taught you growing up?
Don't take shit from anybody. 
Follow you heart, always! 
Don't listen to grandma, she is insane. 

I imagine hearing the audience screaming boo as soon as I finish this question, but what the heck! Do you think women are stronger than men?
I don't know enough about all women but my mother definitely is stronger on the outside and my father is on the inside. But I think outside of my home, it tends to be the opposite. 

What is everybody's problem?
They are too scared to stand up for themselves. 


Random Fire Questions 

If you could change one thing about this world, what would it be?
The hostility with which it treats women and how hard it makes it for a lady, women, girl to feel truly herself. She is constantly someone's projection, or a product of the opinion dispensed to her from a young age or a mould cast out of someone else' plaster. I wish they would see her as a person and then a woman. 

What's worse, an overly protective father or an overbearing mother?
Ha! You tell me

Last words?
Yes, actually. I want to take a moment to impart wisdom here so here goes and this is on feminism and I am afraid it sounds a tab bit like a lecture but nonetheless. If any of us had heard the word "feminist" we would have thought it meant a girl who wore too much makeup, but we were, without knowing it, feminists ourselves, bound together by the freemasonry that exists among intelligent women who know they are intelligent. It is the only kind of female bonding that works, which is why most men do not like intelligent women. They don't mind one female brain if they can enjoy it privately; it's the idea of two or more on the loose that upsets them.     

This is a good place to end the show. Thank you Florence for being on my show! 

--x-- 

Last time on Book People





Comments

Popular Posts