International music that should be on your radar 2.0

A little over a year ago I did a short post about international music that should be on your radar. It was my version of a super quick attempt at reviewing music. I still spend a lot of time finding new music every day. Here is a more recent round-up: 

18. Listen to new music

5. Mayra Andrade 

A Cape Verdean (a small island on the coast of West Africa) singers who lives and records from Portugal. I found her through a music collaboration she did with Branko. She sings primarily in Portuguese but her music sits on that interesting shore line of slow dance music meets Jazz, meets her native morna music meets upbeat dance music. 



4. Branko 

I am going to go ahead and put him on this list actually. He is a Portuguese DJ who was the driving force behind Buraka Som System, this fun electronic dance project that fused techno with zouk and kuduro–both upbeat and high tempo genres– by bringing together several DJs. He has worked with MIA (my qveeen and hero) and other emerging musicians like Mayra Andrade and Nonku Phiri. 




3.  Seinbo Sey

Her song Younger is pretty famous and has this beautiful kaleidoscope version video to her song that you can watch all day. But this Swedish and half Gambian artists makes wholesome electropop and soul music inspired by Alicia Keys and Beyonce. Her video aesthetics remind me so much of Aluna George. 



2. Danit Treubig 

London based Treubig raised money though Indiegogo to release her first album. That's also where I found out that she travelled from Switzerland to explore "North and South America and to meet its indigenous cultures and people." The page also says their "ancient traditions" inspired her music which have a very green space, landscapes, water and nature vibe to them. I've liked every song that I've listened of hers. And I can listen to them over and over again because its so soothing. 


1. El Búho 

A New England based artist who makes tropical music and believes he was Latin American in his past life. Another explorer making music inspired by his journeys. I found his set on Boiler Room and it is the best work music recommendation I can make. Its like listening to an entire continent murmur, dance, clap and speak through music or like watching the Mexican wave as musical influences from one country blend seamlessly into another. It has bit of cumbia, samples of electronic beats, raindrops, bird calls- this whole gamut of very exciting sounds. 









Comments

Popular Posts