Happy Mid Year


Seven years ago I posted a little new year list of accomplishments and reveled the last few moments of being a teenager. I thought about it while making my mid-year list of goals out of the blue and decided to search it. I expected it to be in my archives from last year or maybe two years ago. After a lot of scrolling and searching I was surprised to find it tucked that far back on my blog. In fact I was more surprised to learn how much I have blogged.

It's been a minute and I remember starting this blog as a project to practice writing about all the books I was reading one hot summer after finishing school. In school it was obvious I was an avid reader and eventually became a decent writer. I don't think I saw myself as a writer or journalist back then. I still struggle with the idea and it terrifies me. Finding this quick list from seven years ago though was like finding a letter addressed to future me. At that time and for the years to come my biggest struggle used to be writing a certain number of posts, finishing reading challenges and hosting book tours. It slowly dwindled and my most basic wish for this blog was to be alive. I told myself three posts a month was good practice. It was minimal and could be about anything under the sun. I've written so little about books in the last few years. It switched to travel journalism and writing review for a time.

Seven years later, I have been able to fulfill that wish and kept this blog alive. With three posts a month about anything under the sun, I am a writer and journalist. A few years into blogging, I had to step away to write for magazines and newspapers. I stepped away to read and write papers for graduate school. I stepped away to put into practice my somewhat dream of becoming a writer.

Inspired by the new year list, here is a quick list of my writing accomplishments.

This past year I: 

wrote interview 
wrote my first opinion piece 
wrote and produced an audio interview 
wrote reviews on performance and art 

read aloud my writing to an audience 
got paid to write some of these pieces 

in a few weeks I will return to my roots and publish an author interview. 

I feel all of the same anxieties I did seven years ago. Being so far in the game and having more skin in it and lots more uncertainty, it helps to remind myself of the things I have been able to do.

~ Happy mid year ~

Comments

Popular Posts