12 Books & Movies to help combat Travel Blues

Prologue: This is a travel pitch that most publications do not seem to want so I've just decided to post it on my blog. 

----
As someone who plans her entire life around travel, meeting news people and just trying to stay in a constant state of moving, this isolation has really ruined things for me. At the same time, it has also forced me to slow down and really focus on the few things that I want out of travel- scenic views, be able to pay attention to details again, the little pointless things and journeys. Through film, music, books and some online resources I have slowly reconstructed travel for myself from the comfort of my bed and luxury of pajamas (no, not lululemons, really old shorts.)

I began this journey trying to finish a book by Anjum Hasan called (1) The Cosmopolitans. When I interned at the Caravan, I attended the book launch but did not get around to reading it until a few weeks ago. Set in Bangalore, it comments on a society that is hard to find or appreciate if you are not part of it- the arts and culture. That’s what drew me in and then I got sucked into it. It’s a way less problematic and a lot more honest take on soul searching than eat, pray, love. As a primer to Anjum Hasan, (2) Neti Neti is amazing because I devoured that in 48 hours. 

Then I dove into (3) Multiple Cities by Aditi De which is a love letter to Bangalore tbh. I also occasionally flip through a short story or two from (4) Bombay Stories by Manto. These are great if you miss observing a city very closely and enjoying the mundaneness of catching a bus or drinking cold beers at a bar. 

a still from a trip long ago


If you are feeling like a road trip, then I would watch (5) Unstoppable or Desenfrenadas on Netflix. At first it looks like an annoying girls-only chick flick road trip. But IT IS SO MUCH MORE and has a satisfying ending. If you are still enjoying being on the road, then may I recommend (6) Angry Indian Goddesses or an audio experience by (7) Bitch Face? Also (8) Karawaan starring DQ is worth a watch for interesting character development. 

Sometimes I get car sick so there is only so many road trip movies I can stomach. 

Next I recommend some cultural immersion experiences like (9) Coisa Mas Linda, a Portuguese show set in Rio de Janeiro of the 60s when Bossa Nova was emerging. Here is a selection of music documentaries you could also watch if you are feeling like educating yourself about cultures and movements around the world then head to the (10) Boiler Room website and watch: Palestine Underground, Softboy records and Migrant Sounds. You will find yourself instantly transported to Palestine, Ireland and Britain. 

If you are the melancholy types then read (11) Orhan Pamuk's Istanbul for a beautiful memoir set in Istanbul. If you are enjoying Turkey, then watch (12) Atiye or The Gift that is sci-fi, thriller and historical. It also stars the highest paying Turkish actor who is a woman (YES!) 
---

I feel like this ended abruptly. 
There are some more movies on my list which I haven't watched yet but here is the list:

Summertime (Italian, beaches)
re-watch Crazy Rich Asians (Singapore, water, wealth)
Bettys (New York, skateboarding, movement)
Love & Insecure (for LA views and feelings)
House on Mango Street (book, Chicago, neighbourhoods)
The Chi (more Chicago, the Southside)






Comments

Popular Posts