Book People: a real #Sophie's choice situation we've got on our hands this time



Loosely translated to "not this, not that" in Sanskrit and the title of a book written by Anjum Hasan earlier in her career was the ideal transition book for me. Moving back home after a rigorous period of education and a quick dip in the grow up pool was a struggle. In spite of all the checklists I had made in anticipation of this move, there were so many things I didn't realize would come up or people who would reveal their truer selves.

Sophie, our guest and the star of this book, is an unusual protagonist because she doesn't have an edge. There is something plain and dazed about her, its like she is almost a wallflower who has been made into the protagonist of the book. She isn't the usual loud, super extroverted and drama seeking heroine one would expect. She just ends up in the somewhat right places at the wrong time to catch the tail end of events.

As you know Book People is a series I like to host, much like a talk show, on my blog where I interview characters from books I've enjoyed meeting. So welcome to another episode of Book People. We don't really have the scheduled nailed down but it's all part of the process.



*round of applause* followed by *drumroll* as she seats herself on my cool blue comfy couch.

Thank you for joining us Sophie. To begin with, what would you say you do to our audience members? 

It's not the most glamorous job in the world. It's something to get by and live a different life I think. I work at a company that subtitles films in Bangalore. Do you mind if light a cigarette? 

Not at all. Would you say you are happy at this job?

Hmm, is anyone happy at their job? Are you... 

So then why not quit and do something you do enjoy or are happy doing? 

Because I only have a job in consequence to something or as a reaction, like for instance to afford living on my own and away from my family in Shillong. It's my gateway to a refuge and not really the most important thing to me. I thought it matters because that's what we are all led to believe while studying for exams in 10th standard, but the truth is it doesn't matter what job you do and whether it makes you happy or not. 

I am happy living by myself in Bangalore. Or  I am on most days. 

What is you favorite thing about living in this city?

My favorite thing or feeling is how lost everyone is in this city. We are all going through the motions and no one pauses to realize. Or well *takes a puff* when we grab beers, Swami and I, we sometimes like to make fun of people on this exact same thing. When we come back home and in the early hours of the morning, slightly hungover, we realize we are not any different from those we make were laughing at. This is comforting to me, to know we are all in this together. Regardless of how successful someone may seem on the outside. 


You’re 25, and have just moved to Bangalore. This is your novelWikimedia Commons


If you could have a do-over and know the things you know at the end of your journey in Neti Neti, would you repeat your mistakes? 

No, definitely not. I would have been more honest towards Swami and less harsh to the people at work. It wasn't their fault, none of the things that happened to me were anybody's fault. So a do-over would be an ideal way for me to come out a better human being. 

Who would you marry and who would you kill between Ribor and Swami? 

What an impossible decision to make, I don't think I am in a place to make that decision. 
I'll let you decide for me. 

Anything you would like to add? Words of advice, caution...

You've pretty much covered everything. I am not much of an advice giving person, I tend to tune out when other people give me advice because at the end of the day everyone has their own battles to fight. They just have to find a way and the will to fight them. No amount of advice can make you fight them any faster or better. *puts out cigarette* Anyway thanks for having me, I am going to run out. I'm going to be late.


-x- 

Last time on Book People 




Comments

Popular Posts